Fire Damage Emergency Tips

What you can do until help arrives

Water Tips  |  Fire Tips   |  Biohazard Tips   |  Mold Tips

If you obtain a Christmas tree during the holiday season, keep in mind that it'll need to be abundantly watered. Failure to do so may result in a potential fire hazard. Believe it or not, a living tree within a home can take only seconds to go in a full-blaze. Generally, this is caused by electrical failures with tree lights. Never place a living tree (or any flammable material) near sources of heat. This includes space heaters and baseboard heaters. Also bear in mind, that outlets should never be overloaded. While circuit breakers may help - it's not guaranteed to prevent hazards. 

Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (503) 619-6198

What To Do After A Fire

  • Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
  • Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
  • Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  • Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
  • Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
  • Change HVAC filter.
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.

What NOT To Do After A Fire

  • Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
  • Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
  • Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
  • Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
  • Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.

Visit our updated page